So, I have to go in more detail about this investigator of ours, because he's just so... amazing. We call him our mormon non-mormon investigator, because he knows everything about Mormons, even the lingo that we use...because there are words that we use that the world just doesn't. When we first found him, he pretended like he wasn't interested, but when we invited him to church, he totally came. In fact, since he's come to church the first time, he's come to church every Sunday, even when he had to work, he came for the first hour and then left afterwards. He said to us, "Yeah, I'll be a little late, but that doesn't matter so much." When we meet with him he gets so excited to talk about things, like hymns for example.
"Oh that's a good hymn." I told him when we were talking about songs.
Then he says to us, "yeah, but my favorite hymn is 'Come, Come ye Saints." I mean, we agreed with him, but all were mind blown. What person has a favorite hymn out of the Mormon hymn book? Only he. We'll call him George for the sake of the story.
The last time we met with him he was so excited, "I have a story to tell you!" He went on to explain about how he spends every waking free moment of the day reading talks by apostles and prophets in the Ensign. He just got a new phone and was so excited to show us the app that has the gospel library. "It has everything on here!" He was in complete awe, like a kid in a candy store. He said he was reading a talk by Elder Henry B. Eyring during his lunch break at work. Then, that evening, one of the members from the branch came over to meet with him (he was being over zealous about his home teaching- which George knew about too) and the branch member had brought over a xeroxed copy of a talk, "Come Follow Me" by Elder Henry B. Eyring. He had us in awe, still so excited. "And I have another thing that you'll all love." he paused for effect, "our coffee pot broke yesterday." We all laughed at the irony, but when we got down and serious, really talking to him, he asked about it.
I told him something that learned from a young woman's leader, "I don't believe in coincidences."
And the testimony he already has, the one he doesn't even recognize in himself, is a testimony itself. I wrote in my journal last night about how crazy it was that as I saw people recognize the importance of things, as they do them and tell us how it's blessing their lives, my own testimony grows. When George prayed for the first time for us a while ago, I remember feeling overwhelmed with love for him, feeling the Spirit's influence in that room, pulsing from the sincere, thankful, humble prayer- the first one he'd probably ever done out loud in his whole life, let alone in front of us. It makes me think of how a mother must feel when her child first prays for the first time, as they learn. Or even more so, how God must have felt toward Joseph Smith as he came to the forest grove to pray for the first time out loud, sincere and heartfelt, a simple prayer full of faith.
I know God answers prayers, He just does. If you don't feel like you're getting an answer to your prayer, ask God about it. Kneel down with sincerity, and God will show you, and you'll feel that love He has for you.
Michigan is doing awesome, I'm meeting wonderful people and filling this new chapter in my life. Filling every week, day, minute, second- much like the earth is contained by law of gravity. As I keep commandments, or God's laws, then these moments are sufficiently filled. And as I do so, there's still time to look into the sky, and admire the millions of clouds that fill the Michigan sky...The sky here is so big, it's ridiculous.
And it's cold finally! It was so weird on Saturday to feel a chill, it was foreign and an odd sensation, and I realized that since I've been in Michigan, not once had I felt cold! So this weekend has been awesome. I'd wish that it'd been like this every day, but that might be a bit too much to ask of a summer.
Love you all! Thank you for your prayers!
Sister Duncan
No comments:
Post a Comment