Family! Guess what! I just finished my first journal! I've made it a goal to write in my journal every, every, every day! It's hard sometimes when I feel like everything was the same or coming home really tired, but I know it'll be worth it. I just can't believe so much has happened in such a short amount of time. So, Kenzie- I'm starting in that other journal you got me, and I'm super excited!
The best part of this last week had to be door knocking yesterday. It was fast Sunday, of course, and it was harder than usual to fast... but! It does work, especially when coupled with sincere prayer. As we ended I asked our Heavenly Father to help us to see the answers to our prayers. Getting out to work and getting lost in it is the hardest part, once you're out there, it's exciting and fun! But, anyways, long story short- our referral (referrals never seem to fall through very well) actually was good! She was really interested, especially for her daughter to know more about the Book of Mormon. !!! So that's exciting. I walked away thinking, 'wow, God answers prayers.' And as we talked to person after person who was interested, we had 2 other lessons that we hadn't planned. A potential that wasn't interested, turned into another potential as I felt like we should talk to the guy across the street. Then, saving the best for last, feeling pumped we knocked on this street for a while. My favorite rejection was when a boy came to see who was at the door, went to tell his mom and we thought we heard her say to stay away from the door or something. We waited awhile thinking she'd come to the door, but finally knocked again a little hesitant- and she yelled from inside, "We're not interested!" But people like this don't discourage me as much anymore, because I know that there are people prepared, we just have to find them and not worry about the people who are not ready quite yet.
The last door we knocked that day a daughter answered (17 years old?) with her mom hovering as we talked. She then stepped forward and took control of the situation. "We're Jehovah's Witnesses." She said, looking at us expectantly, "You know what that is?" We nodded, and confirmed, a little confused. "Doesn't that make you scared?" ...."Noo." We said, smiling, and I might have chuckled a little, but mostly confused. The mother seemed a little skeptical, but listened as we talked, and I was prepared to leave her with a card at least when she abruptly turned and called to her daughter, "Turn off the television, I'm going to invite these girls in." Later that day as my companion related, "I thought, what girls?" Indeed, what girls, us? You want to invite us in? I felt shock at first, and confusion, looking at my companions with big eyes. What? These things actually happened? When people invited you in because they were genuinely interested? It ended up being a good lesson, and we mostly cleared up any misconceptions about our religion. She said a little guiltily, "I had a Book of Mormon once" then quieter and sheepishly she said, "I'm sorry to say that I burned it." My insides twisted at the sad thought of a Book of Mormon being destroyed, and a little shock. She said she had done it before she realized what it really was and what it testified of, and wished she hadn't done it. I had to laugh a little too, because it was kinda ridiculous the extremes people go to. We left another Book of Mormon, on the condition that she wouldn't burn it.
Blessings surround us; take your headphones off, put your phone away, set a limit on how much you play video games- any distractions from what life really is, distract us from recognizing the fruit of the Spirit and of just the beauty of life. And I never before thought you could fill a day with so many things. And a planner? How do people live without a planner? Hah, life of a missionary. Who else really learns to love planning? I love it!
Hope everything is well! I love to hear about the miracles in your lives! Prayers your way!
<3 Sister Duncan
No comments:
Post a Comment