Monday, July 15, 2013

bring forth the blessings from heaven!

Fasting does work! It's such a powerful tool to do and accomplish the work of the Lord. Every time we've fasted, whether as a companionship or as a zone or as a whole mission- I've seen and felt the tender mercies, the little and large blessings, that have come from it. Here's the thing, don't give up on the Lord! Don't get discouraged! Last week, or maybe the week before (time doesn't make sense here...)... We were fasting for a woman in the branch who might as well be a member. She comes every Sunday to church, she testifies of the truthfulness of all things we talk about, and she is just so happy and sweet- Ack! I just love being around her, you know, those people that glow? But she hasn't been baptized yet, because her husband didn't want her to be, so in respect to her husband she hasn't. We fasted for her to have confidence, but mostly to soften the husband's heart. I remember that day that we fasted. Everything was falling through, no one wanted to talk to us at doors, and the effects of the sun were really trying to get at us. I remember once in the car reaching out in my heart to the purpose of my fast, which wasn't for energy or for people to listen to us, but for this woman in the branch or congregation. It's interesting that you can gain strength from such things, but the day didn't get easier. The Sunday after the fast nothing seemed to change, and I wondered if it was all in vain. No, in the Lord's time...Right? But when? Can I have the patience for the Lord's time? This woman, we'll call her Cecilia for the story's sake, Cecilia had righteous desires, shouldn't that be enough?
Then, this Sunday, she was talking to my companion..."I have a project for you all." Yeah! What is it, we'd love to help! (And I was thinking more like, service outside gardening or something, which would be a step) "My son needs to know that there are righteous women in the world. He's settling!" Soooo we get to visit her this week and teach her a lesson!!! Even though she knows everything and more, she'll have the lessons before she gets baptized.
And I've had multiple experiences like this! Like when we fasted a day that we'd find someone who was ready for the gospel in their lives. We found someone and got so excited! He loves books and had read up everything on Mormons, he even talks Mormon lingo. When we invited him to church he said he could maybe come the sunday after, "that'll be fast and testimony sunday, right?" What? Who knows things like that?! But in the end, he was more curious than interested in being religious.
He showed up that Sunday, said he'd come back but he couldn't the week after- but would after that Sunday. We had no way to call him and didn't have time the day before to visit and make sure he'd come, and I was beginning to doubt that our 'miracle find', which is to mean finding him had been a miracle, but.... He showed up yesterday and when he introduced himself to the gospel principles class said that he was potentially joining....Now we're meeting with him this week. I don't know why I doubted, because there is power in prayer and fasting.
Alma 5: 45-46
45 And this is not all. Do ye not suppose that I aknow of these things myself? Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true. And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety? 46 Behold, I say unto you they are made aknown unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have bfasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of crevelation which is in me.

He prayed AND fasted. Prayer, communication with God- and then fasting, sacrifice to bring forth the blessings of heaven.

I know that God is a God of miracles. Sometimes things won't make sense, or seem to be not going the way you want, but there are no accidents in life, and God knows, He just does.
Love you all SO much! So, so.
Sister Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment