Monday, July 1, 2013

come to the edge

"Come to the edge," He said.

"...No." I said.

"Come to the edge," He said.

"No." I said.

"Come to the edge," He said.

I said, "No!"

He said, "come to the edge."

I went to edge.

He pushed me off the edge,

and I flew.
 
Elder Holland, one of the twelve apostles, quoted this poem in a talk they show at the MTC. I gave my first talk as a missionary this past Sunday and I used this poem. I was a little nervous, but it was hard to feel too much fear when I was talking about faith and hope- because of course, fear is the opposite of these things. I related these as characteristics of Christ, and missionary work. In Doctrine and Covenants 4:5 it says, "And faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God qualify you to the work. Not a name badge (though, I have to admit it helps), not a calling as a teacher, leader, apostle, or even prophet- it says that these characteristics of Christ (faith, hope, charity) qualify you!
 
Sometimes things are asked of us that are hard, something we have to give up, something out of our comfort zone, maybe facing a challenge such as death of a family member and expected to understand- and God asks us to "come to the edge." No! It's too hard, too unforgivable. God knows us best of all, better than we know ourselves. Surely the maker of a watch knows it's function better than itself...if it had a conscious. And those that look at it simply use it to tell time- but the maker really knows all! God knows us, one of his characteristics is that He is a Creator.
 
This week has been so beautiful! One day it would go from completely clear, to beautiful white cloud formations, to a dark stormy sky and finally surrounded by heavy rain. I feel like every time I look to the sky I find something more, something different, something to be grateful about. I know there've been people I know you look to the sky when I point something out and just don't see them with the same significance. Kind of like when reading the Book of Mormon. It's when you read it looking for something or paying attention when the beauty of God's love really shows through and truth is revealed. I see truth in the sky every day!
 
And the other day it was getting late and dark, just about before it was time to go inside, and I thought I saw something...I wasn't sure what it was, something sparkly or a flicker of light, or something. I turned my gaze to where it was, searching and gasped! No way! "Lightning bugs!" I turned to the ward missionary we were talking to, "There are lightning bugs in Michigan?!" She looked at me like I was crazy. "Yeah, we have a ton, sometimes fields of them." I didn't think I could love Michigan more than I had, and then it happened. Thunder, rain, lightning bugs...what more could I ask for? Well... If the mosquitos could go away...
 
If all these beautiful things are of God, how much more amazing are we, being made in the image of God himself? He knows what's best for us, though we might not understand right away. Or even a couple months of years later- it may be ten years later when we see it's significance. But as we come to know him, develop hope and faith and charity, we'll have the courage to come to edge, and as He pushes us, we'll fly. (: And I've always wanted to fly, like Peter Pan, though I'm sure spiritual flight is not only of more importance of but will make us more happy.
 
I invite you all to pop your comfort bubbles at least once this week. Let the Lord grant you wings to explore and understand what he understands. Something I like about this poem, is that when we have flight, we're elevated. We can see more. I promise that you'll see more, you'll love your friends and see them how God does. This work is so exciting, and hard- but worth every passing moment. Time really does fly! Don't let it pass by, don't let it leave without you!
 
I love you all! Keep it up, don't get discouraged, you CAN accomplish anything, because it's within your divine abilities as a child of God. (:
 
Sister Duncan
 

No comments:

Post a Comment