So right now I'm in the MTC or Missionary Training Center- it's a place where missionaries who will soon be sent to all over the world come together and learn. We learn together, cry together, work, work, eat, sometimes sleep, and really feel love for each other. It's a place to really understand our roles as missionaries, to learn the language as best we can, and grow closer to our Heavenly Father.
The sun is shining and is so warm. It's funny to think about how opposite of a climate I'll end up in. From sorta hot and dry here, to Brazilian hot sun and humid. YES! I'm so excited. Though chances are that I'll end up getting assigned to a different part of the United States while I wait for my visa, I've started to get excited about this idea. While I would love to be in Brazil ASAP, it'll be like getting a second mission call- and knowing that there's someone the Lord want me to touch or something the Lord wants me to do. Maybe even something I need to learn! The birds here are so cute, I guess they're normal little birdies, brown, small, noisy- but recognizing them is just a small thing that reminds me that this is just the beginning of my mission- small experiences that I'm blessed to be a part of (birds) seem small compared to my mission, but they're important. And while these birds are important, there are so many other experiences for me- bigger than me and my little birds. "they're so cute!" I'm sure my companion is tired of hearing me say it over and over again. I'm excited to get out into the world and teach, and serve, and love.
Have you ever looked a mountain, and noticed the trees that stick up over the crest of the mountain? They're so high, and when you start to move towards them, reach the mountain, the trees disappear, and there are other trees that are suddenly higher than you. No matter where you are, it'll look like there is something ahead of you, higher than you. I've learned that it's of no use to compare yourself to others. All it does is lead you on a wild goose chase, and you never find what you're looking for, what you need. ... Another example, today I was staring at my shoe and admiring how shiny it was...Yes, I was sorta distracted. But then I turn to my companion, (who is awesome, but the way- we travel in pairs for safety) and say, "You see the highlight on my shoe, the shiny part? Where I see the shine, and you see the shine, is very different. But you still can see the shine, no matter really where you stand. In fact, if you think about it, my WHOLE SHOE is shining. This brilliant reflection of the sun- but we can only see part of it. My companion helped me make a parallel lesson. The Lord is really the only one who can see you from all sorts of directions, he can see the whole picture of WHO youare. And by relying on the Lord not only will we be able to see glimpses of other parts where we shine, but where others shine as well.
You guys, God lives! He's alive! He's a person, like you and me, but celestial-ized. He gave up his only Son- for us! He loves us so much. I promise you that if you pray, read the scriptures (I mean, eat them up, devour them, really dig into them and find little pearls of truths) that you'll be able to feel that love more fully.
Also, I love to hear from family and friends. My P-Day, or the preparation day is the only day I get to write letters- but it does happen, I promise! (:dearelder.com or MTCdelivery.com, or physical letters, I'll love you forever. I'd love to hear how you're doing. I love you all, thank you for everything you have done for me, if you know me or my family, I promise you've done something to better us. Thank you family, I couldn't be who I am, where I am, without any of you.
Sister Duncan
No comments:
Post a Comment