Family and Friends!
Another week at the MTC, or in Portuguese: CTM. I'm learning cool words like turtle: tartartuga (yes Sister Tillett, like the friend you sent with me) and To Smile: sorrir. And of course, how to share my testimony about God and to bring others to Christ. (:
So at the MTC, or at least in my district, they repeat this idea over and over, to make sure we understand the importance of it, and that is this: exact obedience. Lucky for me I grew up in a home that taught obedience and character (who you are and what you do even when no one is looking)... but it's still difficult. It's no longer just- be good, it's choosing the best when faced with decisions between good, better, and best. Choosing the 'best' every time is not easy! But I'm learning to do so, and I see the impact it's making in my life, and others.
Story! On Tuesday we had 30 minutes until choir practice after language class. (quick note to future missionaries going to the Provo MTC: join choir! awesome teacher, spiritual, and great seats for devotional) Anyways, technically we had dinner scheduled RIGHT then, but there wasn't a lot of time- and usually people go after choir right before devo because your seats are saved. But, we decided to go when our dinner was scheduled, being exactly obedient.
I'm a slow eater... needless to say, as I shoved my chocolate gluten/dairy free muffin down my throat on the way over to choir practice, we got there ON TIME! Like, exactly on time. Score! Or...not. There was a line, and they were already turning sisters away as we got there. I was so frustrated! Not only were they going to be singing "Come Thou Fount" which is my favorite Encore song (I sang in in Encore), and it reminded me of my dear Risa, but we had gone to the Sunday practice- who were all these people? Pshhh. I felt almost betrayed, being exactly obedient.... Well, our goal that day was to stay positive, so we did our best. We decided to stay in the building to be in line to be able to at least get into the auditorium where the devo takes place live. We waited in the hall which soon became a claustrophobic nightmare! I had this strange feeling though, a peace, and I felt prompted to say, (because my companion was as upset as I) "I believe we'll be blessed for being exactly obedient." I wasn't sure I really believed it at first, but I started to pray, and the peace stilled me. So, finally they let us in, and I was just glad we made it in without getting run over. Everyone was getting excited, there was a rumor of who the visitor speaker might be, but I felt calm, just pleading that whatever was said, that I'd be open to receive what I needed.
Then everyone stood. I was confused at first, but realized what was happening. Elder Nelson walked in. For those who don't know, Russel M. Nelson is one of the 12 Apostles of the Lord. We believe that the priesthood and correct authority of God has been restored to the earth after Jesus Christ and his Apostles died. Joseph Smith was the first Prophet, now it's Thomas S. Monson. And you know, when he walked in, when I saw him, I felt a rush of overwhelming peace. Tears threatened to fall, and they might have a little- but in that moment of silence, I was thanking my Heavenly Father. Elder Nelson didn't even have to speak, all he needed to do was to walk into the room. And you know what the very first things he said? "Obedience brings blessings, exact obedience brings miracles." Here I was, sitting at the feet of an apostle, 7 rows away as he taught us and filled us. Sisters and Brothers reading this! (That means everyone) I know that we are blessed when we are exactly obedient, I know that we have Latter-Day revelation now on the earth! I'm just so grateful for the opportunity to be on a mission. Some of the few things he taught us: the importance of family history and our ancestors. That the people who have passed on want their family still living to be introduced to the gospel. This so that they can be blessed by being sealed to their families forever in the temple. How we have angels at our aid, to ask for their aid by characteristic. I immediately felt overwhelmed with the love by those who had passed on, especially thought of Risa. As the choir sang Come Thou Fount I mouthed the words, not doubting that there were angels among them, ancestors probably, singing with them.
The Church is True!
The hardest thing yet was when our teacher challenged us to only speak Portuguese.... He even had us sign a contract. Needless to say I only lasted a day before going crazy. That's a whole other story, but the lesson I learned from that: obedience and faith are not quite the same thing, though intermingled- obedience without hope, doesn't maintain the spirit.
Anyways, life is great here, thank you for your prayers and love and letters! I love you all!
Sister Duncan
"Because I Follow Jesus Christ"
No comments:
Post a Comment