Monday, March 31, 2014

virtuoso, o bello, A L E G R E

virtuous, lovely, J O Y F U L

One of those days when only you know what happened three years ago. And how tempting it is to remember the details and to be sad. I will admit that today started out very difficult, but I also know that we have a Heavenly Father who's mindful of us, and if we would only talk to Him, ask for help in humility, we'll find what we need. 

Though, on the contrary of this morning, this weekend has surprised me. Why it surprises me that the Lord knows me so well, after almost a year on the mission? The very reason why the Lord repeats things over and over in the Book of Mormon, to learn because we forget. My new companion is from Brasilia! And everyone thinks she isn't Brazilian, because I guess she has an accent? But with her, it's hard to sad or let my thoughts go down a rats hole. She reminds me of a fairy of types, the kind that only had positive air, and laughs when bad things happen. She's also quite hilarious. But I'd been praying specifically to have a companion would would help me this transfer to be happy. And on top this, it's also quite difficult to be sad when you're focused on the work...I always wondered what it meant when people said that they didn't have time to be sad- and now I understand. You have to experience it to understand it, which it most of the things in life. With my energetic companion with only three months on the mission and my little Jordanópolis to take care of, the Lord has blessed me with a peace that no one could really understand. 

This morning I was reading in Alma 27 in the Book of Mormon, and talks a lot about JOY. How Amon had so much joy that it overcame his strength. Never more than this morning did I desire this joy, a joy that reminded me of Risa. 

Alma 27:17-18
"Now the joy of Ammon was so great even that he was full; yea,he was swallowed up in the joy of his God, even to the exhausting of his strength; and he fell again to the earth.
"Now was not this exceeding joy? Behold, this is joy which none receiveth save it be the truly penitent and humble seeker of happiness."
I love when the Lord gives us a formula to follow. He says what the blessing is and how we can receive the particular blessing. Here it says if you want a joy that is truly exceeding wonderful, it is given to those who are penitent and those who seek this happiness with a humble heart. And as I looked up penitent, what I came to understand was it came to those who sought everything spiritual, who seek to switch everything worldly in their lives for that which is spiritual, which is also known as repentance. 
So now ya'll know how to have this joy, let's spread it through out the world!
Besides this I learned a lot this week. Two of our investigators came to church again! What joy this brings as well. 
But just know how much I love you all, all the way from Brazil. I'm praying for you all, and I'm definitely feeling your prayers from here as well. And believe that we have a God who is mindful of everything in our lives, the small and big. 
Love, 
Sister Duncan
P.S. Thank you ALL for the Happy Birthdays in my email and on facebook- I had a little birdie here in Brazil who told me that people were wishing me happy birthday, but didn't know what they said because they were in English. (= Love ya'll! 
P.P.S. Don't ya'll worry, I received chocolate without gluten and tapioca

on my birthday, all is well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment