Monday, March 17, 2014

The Painting

A heard a gasp and looked around to see what it was that my companion saw, she was already a couple steps ahead of me, walking faster down the slanting road, to the house of The Painter. I saw what it was that she saw, and quickened my stride as well. "Wow, Sister, look!" But she didn't need to direct my vision, I was already looking, all I could think was - Wow. 

A couple days before we had seen various paintings in a garage, Sister Moura was the first who saw, and we stood at the bars of his garage transfixed at the paintings that were there. Of flowers and buildings and ships. We had decided to ring the doorbell, and an older man peeked his head out, kinda grumpily asking us what we wanted, obviously noting that we appeared like missionaries, and obviously not interested. But as we started ooing and aweing at his paintings, asking him about them- if he selled them, he relaxed. He started bringing out various paintings, abstract, realistic, of buildings, of other paintings in his fashion- and I was in shock, literally speachless when he said he'd only been painting for two years, almost three now. Wow. Wow. Wow. 

He didn't open the door of the garage, so we must have looked like children at the window of a candy store, peering through the bars at his works. 

The Painter is catholic, so our invite seemed in vain, almost scared him away- or he thought we had complemented his works just to talk to him. This made me sad, and I went on to tell him just how amazing it was that he had this gift. Even more, that he didn't like to sell his works, his pleasure in the work is people like us, admiring his work- and just gives away his work, doesn't accept money. We have a new house and doesn't have paintings of Christ yet, so I asked him if he would paint one for our house. We came by another day and left with him a lot of paintings of the bible, Christ, and the Book of Mormon, including one painting of Christ (you know the famous portrait with a red robe and peircing blue/green eyes?) But he seemed doubtful because usually he did profiles, not full on faces.

Can you imagine what it was that we saw that day, when I heard my companion gasp? The very painting of Christ- no, not exactly, but his interpretation. We were both silent just looking at the painting. 

We went for the doorbell. 

Ah, and I could go on, but long story short. It's amazing how the way to open the heart of people often won't be us trying to convince people through words, but by our love. No, he and his wife haven't visited church yet, they haven't even opened their garage door...But we've planted a seed! And this and so many more miracles I've witnessed this week, strengthening my testimony of a loving Heavenly Father and of my Savior. Of this great work ahead of all of us! 

Thank you for all your prayers and love. 
Love, 
Sister Duncan

P.S.  Alma 5: 26 " And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye haveexperienced a achange of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the bsongof redeeming love, I would ask, ccan ye feel so now? "

No comments:

Post a Comment