Monday, March 10, 2014

a vida boa, n ã o

We've started to teach the son of a recent convert, who believes in God- but also believes that anything could be true. It takes me back to my psychology class. A lot of the responses we get from him is "Depends." Of all the people I've met and talked to, I think he's the first who (as it seems) doesn't want an answer. But he does everything else we invite him to do. And he hovers before he finally sits at the table- you can tell he wants to learn. He watched The Restoration video, and read the pamphlet, and last time we left a chapter Alma 32 about faith for him to read- he said he'd read it. But when we invite him to pray, it's something he doesn't want to do, and right now we haven't yet quite found what it is. He has lots of doubts and questions, but he doesn't want an answer. It makes me think at times in my life when we skip around the answers or avoid our parents because you know they'll tell you something, and you no longer can be ignorant- but as soon as you know and understand, you have new responsibility. 

A Vida Boa - The good life. I think of how many hours I spent on the computer, a lot of the things I did were good, a hobby: writing, editing photos, reading, facebook- but I wasn't very good at balancing my time. I knew this at the time, but I don't think I knew how to change. All one needs is a planner and to fill it up with things you want to do. Don't give up because you didn't do things that were there planned, this happens a lot on the mission- but you can feel accomplished and ready to do better the next day...And it's also important to be flexible when things arise, I think my family's pro at last minute flexability, for parties or service, or whatever it be. 

I love this scripture: D&C 88:119-120

 119 Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; andestablish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, ahouse of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house oforder, a house of God;
 120 That your incomings may be in the name of the Lord; thatyour outgoings may be in the name of the Lord; that all your salutations may be in the name of the Lord, with uplifted handsunto the Most High.
Why?
 "Behold, mine house is a house of order, saith the Lord God, and not a house of confusion."
I'm so grateful for this time I have on the mission to really come to understand what temporal happiness is versus eternal happiness. I know that it's only really putting Christ in the center of our lives that we can truly be happy, that our families will be happy. Thank you so much everyone for your support and love, it's unbelievable how I can feel it from so far away. (=
<3 Sister Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment