He said that the mission is like our sacred grove. I think I've heard this before, but the way he explained the importance of how we serve now, how we pray, how we love - is how we'll come to know our Savior and His Father, our Father. Because it was in the grove that Joseph Smith came to understand who the Father and Son is, and when we understand this, we come to understand who WE are. And this is our purpose here on earth, to come to know them, become like them, that some day we'll be comfortable in their presence.
Pres. and Sister Tanner left us with a talk in Portuguese, but since it was given in the MTC, I couldn't find it on lds.org. And it's traslated in Portuguese, so I'll do my best to untraslate it. "Becoming a Consecrated Missionary" by Elder Tad R Callister. And as I read it, being a missionary, I couldn't help but think that though it applies to missionaries, I could also replace missionary as Becoming a Consecrated Member. Really, we're all doing the Lord's work, as members without a nametag, can become consecrated as well. Isn't that what we promise in the temples?
What is our desire? To change the world?
In the talk it shortly tells the story of Martin Luther, and something that he said through all the sacrifice we was suffering, translating the Bible, people questioning the cause,
"You wanted me to change the world. You thought that there would be no price?
Truly to change the world, we first must change ourselves. But it doesn't mean that we should suffer through life, unhappily- a quote by Parley P. Pratt gives me an idea of just how much he must have treasured the happiness and feeling of the Holy Ghost, " And when the Spirit of God is over me, I think that it's not very important what I suffer"
But what would it mean to be a consecrated member or missionary? To do all in our power to do the will of the Lord. Putting our ALL on the alter of sacrifice.
He tells a story about a missionary who's companion was sleeping in late one morning. And when he told him that it was the hour to get out of bed, the companion responded: I don't want to.
"It's not what you want, but what the Lord wants."
This week, after waking up two times very early made us very tired this week. It was difficult, and while I'm not perfect, this talk helped me understand the sacrifice that Christ made for us, the little that He asks in return, understanding that He asks these of us to help us.
I'm happy to serve a mission, I would never take it back. I can't imagine my life without it. It's given me an opportunity to see the world, myself, and God a little differently. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is led by Christ, and I know this because of the testimony that I've gained through prayer and study. I know God loves all of us the same, and has a desire to help each and every one of His children, and that's why we're here together, to help each other.
I love you all, family and friends, thank you for everything.
Sister Duncan

No comments:
Post a Comment