The World Cup! I've never seen so many colors of the Ducks in my life! Growing up in Oregon, green and yellow have been the colors of the football team. Ducks and Beavers, and whenever asked, I said and claimed to be a Platapus. But... After this time in Brazil and adopting a little of Brazil into my heart, I think I'll have to say I'm a duck, just because of the colors. Though Brazil is green, yellow and blue.
Here, there are holidays that they don't celebrate as big as they are in the USA. But the thing here that is bigger than ANYTHING is soccer. Everyone plays soccer. I remember growing up playing lots of different sports, and while there are many here as well, the dominate is soccer. And here I think like green and yellow Christmas without the trees and presents and meaning of Christ's birth. Brazil flags everywhere, to the point where it's painted on the streets and walls. And as we studied during the game, it was like all of Brazil was in unison as they cheered with loud trumpets (toy, but still loud!) and screaming. But as far as working during the day and after the game, it wasn't difficult at all. Lots of people in green and yellow in their hair, clothes, nails, I even saw a truck today with the flag painted on the hood! And besides the noise that started before and continued after the game, we've found that it hasn't gotten in the way of finding people and teaching.
=) In fact, I think this past week was FULL of miracles, every day. Though, I've also come to have a stronger testimony that it's after the trial of our faith that we witness miracles. After sacrifice that we see the blessings. I remember one day in the heat (yeah, it's hot again, I don't know why, it's winter! I must be in Brazil or something.) and not finding people, I turned to my companion, "You know what this means? Means that there are miracles in our front!" It was playfully said, but at the same time I meant it. And sure enough we found yet ANOTHER investigator that we lost contact with and had the spirit with us strong in our lessons.
I know that our Heavenly Father will always fulfill His part, we only need to continue with "hope" and believing in these promises that are just around the corner. I received a letter from one of my teachers from the CTM, about a missionary experience that they had- and I know that there truly is a joy that comes from sharing the gospel from others, that doesn't come from the people that you share (because not always people accept) but a joy that comes from God. You can have these experiences through simple things, like being a friend, listening, and showing your love.
Thank you so much for all your love and support, I'm one lucky girl! Er- missionary! (=
Sister Duncan
No comments:
Post a Comment