Monday, May 5, 2014

Where can I turn for p e a c e ?

This week was full of miracles! We found less actives that have been difficult to find and have been able to work with a happy heart. It's been a lot of fun and hard work, and I'm excited to do better these weeks to come! 

there was a beautiful sunset!
On our way to a meeting at the chapel
!
Often when we offer to say prayers with people on the streets, we ask them if there's anything that they'd like to ask for in the prayer. Health, wisedom, safety, the answers vary. There was one this week who asked for us to ask for world peace. Not that it's something unprobable- because one day Christ will come and there will be peace. But a world without violence is impossible. The only way for this to occur, would require to take the agency away from mankind, force people to do what you want them to do. As we walked away the words came to mind, "I came not to bring peace unto the world..." But I couldn't remember what it was that he had really brought. I know that the peace of the world is different than the peace that God offers to each of our souls. I found the scripture in Matthew today:

Matthew 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

A sword! I had thought it would say something about peace to the soul, not peace to the world. But a sword, and it makes sense. We're here to have our agency, he can't make us "be good" So he came to the world to give a sword to those who would follow him. Who would be obedient. To those with integrity. To those who kept His commandments. 

John7:43  So there was a division among the people because of him.

This spiritual war has become a physical war. In these scripture here in Alma 48:20-22 It talks about how a people had peace without war for the space of many years. But because of the choices of the Lamanites, they were compelled to go to war to protect their land and families. 

 20 And thus they went forth, and the people did humble themselves because of their words, insomuch that they were highly favored of the Lord, and thus they were free from wars andcontentions among themselves, yea, even for the space of fouryears.
21 But, as I have said, in the latter end of the nineteenth year,yea, notwithstanding their peace amongst themselves, they were compelled reluctantly to contend with their brethren, the Lamanites.
 22 Yea, and in fine, their wars never did cease for the space of many years with the Lamanites, notwithstanding their muchreluctance.
But these wars aren't without help, Christ left us with a mighty sword. And we need to believe that there's nothing stronger. 

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

I know that this peace is real, and each of us can have this peace. With the wars of fashion, TV, internet, words, values, these silent and loud wars- we can have this peace within us and within our homes. I know that this is only possible through the gospel of Jesus Christ, his principles of Faith, Repentance, baptism, following the whispers of the Holy Ghost, and persevering until the end! 

Keep strong, I love you all- I can't wait to talk to my mother in...two weeks!! I think I can wait it out. The longer the wait, the sweeter the result? 

Love you all!
Sister Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment