Monday, May 19, 2014

love without e n d .

I think I'm discovering something that people search all their lives and don't find. A peace without end, a happiness that has no measure, and a vision that no man has the eyes to see with just physical eyes. 

I'm discovering a tool that heals. Something that if you have, you'll never feel alone. Never feel afraid. Never feel like anyone has abandoned you. This tool keeps families together, mends the most shredded relationships, and something that you can never run out of. 

Would you believe that something as simple as "love" has a power more strong than the whip or sharp words? Stronger than hate...For while there is opposition in all things, the light will always be one that extinguishes the darkness. There is no darkness that can put out the sun.

And you can be that light. I hope Paulo will come to understand the feelings he felt during his baptism this week that passed- and then in turn reflect the light that he is receiving. Because without love, how can we give love? And if this love is received of the world, it runs out, and you either have nothing to give or nothing left as you give. But charity is a love from a well without end! I've come to understand more and more about love. How I can show love towards others, especially through service. On a mission, your purpose is to change lives, and often in my life before the mission, my purpose got twisted in the voices of the world, things that were louder and more fun, or exciting, more colorful- because things of the world seem sometimes that they'll bring a happiness. And there are things of the world that aren't bad- I think of that talk, "Good, Better, Best" And I think before the mission, I got these mixed up. 

How many times have I heard people, both members and nonmembers of the church, say things like, "I don't have time", "I'm busy", "tomorrow" or even today, but don't do something. And sometimes it hurts, hurts because I can see their potential and the importance...and it hurts because maybe I see myself in these situations- when I felt like I didn't have time, but spent time watching shows or things that weren't as important. But I'm discovering that my life filled with things of the world won't produce the happiness that I want to keep beyond my mission, only in magnifying my calling in the church and serving the people in my bubble of influence- and continually widening this bubble. Something I can testify, something that I know that is true, when you feel like your at the end of your rope and there's nothing left to give- if you pray to feel God's love for you, you'll find that there is no end to the rope and that there's not enough people to give all that you have- seeking continually to give more (whether it be more smiles, hugs, or a kind word).

Why? Because I've seen a difference...The more effort I put out to love, the more change I see in people. Not the more I chastise or the more I yell and scream and point to the scriptures, but the more I love. 

And I've seen this change in Paulo from us missionaries and a couple of the families who have invited him to Family Home Evenings, and such. He even made a cake and brought it to the competition of cakes made by men. ( = It was cool to watch, seeing as I could only try two of the cakes, made with corn! Very good. But this change is possible in everyone - and that's why we're here. (=

I love this work more and more every day. It gets easier and easier, and harder and harder, but sweeter and sweeter! 

I got to talk to my family yesterday! Of all the examples of love in my life, the greatest would have to be my parents. They've always loved me and my siblings, always generous and yet teaching and disciplining with love. I've never felt more blessed in my life, for all that I have, for my life, for my family, for my friends, for my talents, for my past, for my present, for my future. 

Only missing my brother in Russia, but for some reason, when you're doing the same thing as someone else, even if it's on the other side of the world- I feel closer than I've ever felt. There's nothing, no work or anything, that compares to the joy on a mission, at least, nothing that I knew. I know that there's so much more and I'm excited to discover and learn everything! (= One step at a time. 

Love you all, stay strong, never give up, never look back- and press forward with a smile. 

Sister Duncan

P.S. This was the closing song for Paulo's baptism. A hymn that we sang with him sometimes during lessons. 

129
Where Can I Turn for Peace?

1. Where can I turn for peace?
Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart,
Searching my soul?
2. Where, when my aching grows,
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?
He, only One.
3. He answers privately,
Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind,
Love without end.

No comments:

Post a Comment