Good. We've established the love, deep love, a love that has no end and cannot be fathomed- that God has for us. Here's the next question: How do you show God that you love Him?
This week has been difficult- the area that I'm working in is Jordanopolis in Rudge Ramos with Sister Moura, who was my second companion when I arrived here in Brazil. Which I'm really excited about- but missing Mauá... And missing my bed... Been sleeping on a blow up cushion bed thing- I forget the name... And while at home I love to sleep on the ground, on the mission- I like to crash in my simple bed. And I caught a little cough- so my battle this week was really seeking the Lord out for help. Church was hard, it had me start imagining what it will be like to have kids during sacrament meeting. We had an investigator come to church with her four kids, all under the age of eight... You would never imagine what the magic of a simple pen and paper can do to preocupy a child. And yet, all the while- with the distractions and difficulties, I sought out help... And it came, my tender mercy, a little on Sunday during Relief Society meeting, and then the rest at a meeting that same night.
I recieved an email from my sister and Aunt about revelation- it was neat to see how true and applicable it was to experiences I've had. About writing down your thoughts as they come, that it won't come all at once, and answers will build on more answers as you learn. Line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little.
Back to the question: How do you show God that you love Him?
Jesus asked Peter, "Do you love me?"
But as my thoughts were coming together, I realized that the question was something more.
"Sister Duncan, do you know me?"
In Portuguese the verb "to know" has two words that they use frequently: saber- which is to know something for sure, a fact. And the other is conhecer, which is to be familiar with.
"[insert your name], Do you know me? Are you familiar with who I am, what I teach. Would you recognize me if I passed by?"
Peter after confirming his love for the Lord, Christ says- "Feed my sheep".
Humility is a characteristic of Christ, why? He did the Lord's will. And in doing so, He did what He saw his Father do. I wish I could convey everything in my thoughts more clearly- but in simplicity, this is what I made a connection: in humility we humble ourselves to the the Father's will, we come to know Him and His Will for us. Which is what? "Feed my sheep."
Be it on a mission, as Relief Society President, Prophet, primary teacher, Bee Hive secretary, neighbor, friend, this is the work of the church- to serve, to make a difference, so that one day we can all return to our Father's presence.
I know that this is Christ's church, I know life isn't easy- but really, the life that isn't easy is the life without the restored gospel. I know that we can be happy here, God wants us to be happy! Smile! You will never know how you can answer the prayers of others. (=
With love,
All the way from Brazil-
Sister Duncan
No comments:
Post a Comment