In Michigan I learned the rose: petals, rose bud, and thorn. Thorn: the hardest part, rose bud: what you're looking forward to, and the rose bud, the best part.
I'll start with the rose bud: THE RAIN HAS RETURNED! I'm looking forward to this change in the season, I hope it stays. And while this Oregonian is feeling at home in the rain, it does make the work a little harder, being no one in the streets. But last night on the way home as the cold breeze chilled my wet feet- not that it was really really cold- but the difference was a shock to my system. A pleasing shock, I'm excited- my energy has returned... As I look outside and the sun peeks around the clouds... =P
Thorn: Really, it's the thorn because of the loss we feel, because of the pain it causes. But we also know that every pain has a cure, and pains like this one is especially the Atonement, or sacrifice of Christ. As many of you know, we've lost a dear friend this week. Alex. I want to send my regards and love to the family, and my testimony of the Plan of Salvation. I think the best memories I have growing up are every sunday in church. Growing up in primary with Alex and his siblings. With Alex, I remember mostly in Sunday School- and in school- as we also lived close. Our groups of friends were never the same, but he never was embarrassed to say hi to me in the hallways at school, and growing up- I remember him being really tall. Realllllly tall, especially me being short probably. While he had moments of goofing off, I remember moments more serious or spiritual in Sunday School- one of the few that would focus once in a while. But this leads to the rose bud-
Rose Bud: The gospel itself. This week has been full of ups and down and turnarounds, but we've been given a foundation. Something sturdy and fertile to grow our testimonies in. The best part of this week...I think it was the day I learned about Alex, or maybe the day after. My companion bore her testimony and while teaching- I felt the spirit so strongly. It wasn't even about the Plan of Salvation, but as many have studied the scriptures, will come to know that everyone is intertwined, that without one piece of the puzzle, the picture isn't complete. I don't even remember what she said, but from this moment, and the cooling weather helped, I felt a renewal. Like a rebirth. And each of us are given this opportunity... I know that we have a loving Heavenly Father who loves each of us. And that the battle Alex fighting in the Middle East is one quite similar to a battle going on now spiritually, that we're all fighting and he continues to be a hero. I know that families can be eternal. And I know that the family is the central unit of God's plan for us, and it's only through Jesus Christ that we can be glued together for all eternity.
Thank you for all your love and prayers.
Sister Duncan
No comments:
Post a Comment