Thursday, January 30, 2014

the correct use of the "g u a r d a chuva"

Things you learn in Brazil- like the correct use of the umbrella. Here the word for umbrella is guarda chuva, or rain guard. Which was named incorrectly, it should be named, guarda sol. Sun Guard. This week I've used my Sun Guard every day almost. I remember reading Sister Whitaker's blog when I was at home, talking about how people used the umbrella to block the sun. At first I felt like I was from England or something alike... And while the intensity of the sun lessens under the umbrella, I'm afraid the heat is the same. And you'll get tired of me saying, but really, the Lord really did know what He was doing when he sent me to SOUTHERN Brazil, and not Northern. (=

This week we've been focusing on a family of girls. A mother, three girls over the age of eight, and the youngest- who finally likes me. The daughters are somewhat shy, but beautiful girls- innocent and good. The oldest daughter is a member- and it's fun to work with them. Especially with the teenagers, we had a talent show on Saturday, and during the week watching them practice and open up a little more around the other young women, it was fun to watch. While the organization of the church is perfect, the Lord works through imperfect servants- and yet the work gets done. If we are faithful, and do all we can do- have faith, repent daily, get baptized, receive the Holy Ghost, partake of the sacrament every Sunday, continue obeying the commandments and enduring to the End, it is enough. It is enough, because Christ's grace is sufficient. Watching them learn and come to better understandings, or just watching others change; I find more courage and the "how" to change myself. 

I hit my half way mark recently, and when you hit marks as such (or turn a certain age, or someone younger starts to go to dances, get married, things that make you feel old or young)- it makes you reflect on time. How fast it goes and how precious it is. 

Live every moment like you won't have it again, because you won't, but don't shed tears for the moments passed and look forward to the ones to come, and be grateful. Gratitude really does have a power unmachable, when you express it to others or to God. 

Thank you for your prayers and love,
Sister Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment