Thursday, January 9, 2014

just love life

I've never seen roads so empty... I don't remember what it's like in the USA. But the 31st of December and the 1st of January, Mauá was deserted! It reminded me of those zombie films. Except in my story, everyone had gone to the beach, or on the first of January, sleeping. 

The last couple of weeks have gone by in a blur, but I guess that's how my whole mission has been, so fast. I remember getting calls from the zone leaders, who played a prank on us, fake transfers. But I remember the day of the real transfers, when I learned Sister Dabelko was leaving. Thinking of how much I'd miss her, and how this would be my first transfer where I would be the one with all the information to pass on to my companion. Remembering things, for me, is one of the hardest things, especially things and names in Portuguese. It's getting better, but if I don' t even know how to pronunciate a name, then I write it down to remember... and still... But I actually remember a lot more than I thought, and I know the area a lot better than I thought, though I admit to getting lost multiple times already, somehow passing houses of our investigators without even knowing it. Hahaha. But my companion, or the sister I'm working with now, is patient.. A sister from Petrolina, Brazil, close to the Bahia. She's actually seen pictures of Sister Whitaker! (= 

I'm excited for this transfer with a Brazilian, it'll definitely help my Portuguese.

Something I'm coming to understand, is the importance of reading the scriptures. The Lord doesn't spell out the answers in the verses, but through the power within the writings of prophets- the Holy Ghost testifies of the truth, and to what we really need to know. My goal this year for reading the scriptures, is to write more of what I learn during study time, not assuming that I'll remember. 

I know that God lives, that He loves us so very much. I know that Christ is our Savior, and that God gives us the gift of the Holy Ghost as guidance here on the earth, to be able to return back to our Heavenly Father. I know families can be eternal, and that the life we have here on earth is a time precious, important, and so very short in perspective of things. I love it here, I love the things I'm learning, and most importantly I love my family so very much. I'm here because of my love for my Heavenly Father, and secondly for my family. 

Just always remember!  Remember the good in life. The blessings we have.

Com Amor, 
Sister Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment