Wowww, time flies on the wings of chocolate. (because you know how fast chocolate gets eaten, right?)
Wow! The best part of my week was of course when I got to talk to my family. It was so good, so good in fact that I hardly knew what to say, it was good enough to see them and listen to their voices. I speak in English here some, but it was awkward to only speak in English, and I realized that at least maybe my brain has been trained to try to speak in Portuguese first.
This past transfer has been really good. I got to spend it with my companion from the MTC, Sister Dabelko. I wish words could express how grateful I am for her and having this time that half resembled our experiences in the MTC. Except, here with a splash of Brazil, running from one side of our area to the other to get home in time, Sister Dabelko making me gluten free treats, struggling together, speaking Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years together. But transfers are here yet again, and I'll be staying in Maua Pilar, and she'll be going to a different area....
Breakthrough with one of our investigators! Her name is MariaM1- and she basically knows about everything, she just needs to live the word of wisdom, to stop drinking coffee. This hurdle for her has been really hard, but we had a lesson with her and with a member this week... Ah, I believe in milagres! miracles! No, she hasn't stopped yet, but she came to church for the first time in a while, and she came to church with a question like we'd encouraged her. During
Sunday school the teacher pulled out an ensign, talking about modern day prophets. She flipped through the magazine and I noticed MariaM1 come to attention. She asked if she could see the magazine. She flipped through to the page that she had seen, "Olha..." Look, she said, pointing the article out which was about addictions. I could tell she knew it was no accident. And that's what made me happy.
If anything, one important thing, really important, that we need to understand. Is that we have a Loving Heavenly Father. What does this entail? That as we keep the commandments, he blesses us individually what we need, the love we need to feel. I know that when we go to church, often we can take advantage of the three hours we have to study. Three hours that we have to feel God's love for us individually, and then for the rest of the week spread that love to others.
Sunday really is my favorite day of the week, more now than ever. I know, that as we go diligently every week, we will literally grow closer to our Father in Heaven. We'll understand the sacrifice of Christ more as we partake of the sacrament...
And as Christmas is over, don't forget Christmas, if you can, in your own little way- make every day Christmas- in remembering Christ our Savior. Give a gift every day, whether it be a smile or hello, or a listening ear. One thing that came up during a lunch with a family, I suggested that every month have a family home evening Christmas themed, sing Christmas carols, something alike. We celebrate to remember, and in remembering we grow.
I'm so grateful, so grateful for this opportunity to serve a mission. And to have the family and friends that I have, and am making now. Keep singing those Christmas hymns, and think of me!
OH! One cool thing we did for Christmas, our zone sang Christmas hymns near the train station, kinda like Drew did last Christmas I think. (= Nothing brings the spirit stronger than a hymn, or in other words, a prayer. Love you all, Sister Duncan!
No comments:
Post a Comment