Monday, December 9, 2013

sacrifices and saudades

I'm one of those spoiled missionaries, or blessed, really- who get to go to the temple every 3 months. Really though, if you have a temple near you- take advantage of the opportunity! Every three months is such a blessing, especially because I know there are some missionaries who don't get to go at all. I can't even express how grateful I am- it was so wonderful. The moment the door closed behind me I wanted to cry, because of the silence that there was, compared to the noise of the city. And not only vocally, but the silence that entered my thoughts and heart, a silence- but maybe silence is the wrong word, because it's wasn't a lack of noise, but a filling space, love, the knowledge of a Loving Heavenly Father who loves me. 

Normally in two transfers, a missionary will have two companion. I've had the opportunity to have six. This beginning of the transfer I was with a Brazilian, and she we both only had one transfer on our mission (for me, first in Brazil) and our area here in Mauá is HUGE, and we were opening it too, which means the area was new for both of us. This is how it was for two days, when we got a call from the President of our mission.  (by the way, I have such a respect for mission presidents, holy cow they do SO much) There had been a confusion and the secretaries had switched names. In reality, long story short, I'm here with my first companion from MTC!!!!! yeah, take a moment to think about that. We both have the same amount of time on the mission. She has two transfers on the mission (only 3 months) and me- I had 1.5 months. Both of our Portuguese... well, we're learning together. Sometimes it's funny when we can't understand, sometimes it's not... But what I've learned in the last two weeks, is that the Lord really does make up for our weaknesses. The things we cannot do, as long as we're doing our best.

I read this scripture this morning: 2 Nephi 25:23
"For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do."

Christmas is approaching, and while it's summer here, people are putting up their Christmas and wintry decorations. 

Really, the Lord knew I wouldn't be able to handle the heat in the North of Brazil, I hear it's just... hot. Hot, hot, hot. Here, it's hot, but just hot. And in my particular area, higher altitude, we get a little break often from the heat.

Brazil is different and amazing, I love it. And the gospel is the same. I'm teaching the same things I taught in Michigan, just in another language. 

D&C 130: 21 "And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated."

I know that this scripture is true. We had a zone conference, where they really focused on helping us understand what it means to become converted here on the mission. One thing that I really came to understand is that with every single action we have a consequence. One of the consequences of instant gratification, or anything against the law of God, is sadness- feelings of unworthiness, impatience, and other feelings unsatisfactory. And there's always something more we can do to be obedient, to find what in our lives if changed, will be more in line with the Savior's teachings, and bring blessings. Because with every, EVERY commandment, there is a blessing. 

We've been asked to memorize a scripture for our Christmas devotional for the mission here. I asked a member during almoço (lunch) to read it out loud so I could know how to pronunciate it. When she did so she was in awe (it was the same scripture in Psalms that my brother shared in his missionary letter from Psalms) She asked if she could write the reference down. The next day I got a small note, which I glued in my journal, thanking me for sharing the scripture- because it had been an answer to a prayer. I felt a swelling within my heart- and I knew it had not been me. Because- I was just doing what I was supposed to, I was being obedient. I know, I have such a strong testimony, that it's simply in doing what we should be doing, that we can bless the lives of others. Especially this Christmas season. Think of a gift you could give to the Savior, something you could put on the alter of sacrifice- to be more like the Savior. For example, putting impatience on the alter, or self control, or any other thing- and in doing so, I can promise that in some way or another, you'll bless the life of another. Often times you won't know it, you won't get a small note to tell you to keep going, instead it might be a feeling of love or gratitude.

I'm so grateful I'm on a mission right now. People keep asking if it's hard to be so far from family around Christmas. And how could it not be, with the family I have? They keep asking if I have "saudades" for home, a word that really doesn't have an exact translation, but means longing, or missing, in a short sense. And while I have so many saudades for home, there's no other place I'd rather be than here on a mission. I don't regret it. I tell them that a year and a half really isn't that long to be in the service of God, especially when I have the rest of my life, the rest of eternity. 

Keep being good, keep striving to be better- and the Lord will bless you with the best! 

Com Amor,
Sister Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment