I love how my brother said in his last letter, "Gratitude is said to be the memory of the heart."
For me it's so strange that Thanksgiving isn't celebrated here. Here in Brazil, people start decorating and celebrating the "Christmas Season" after Halloween... So I'm already accustomed to starting to sing Christmas hymns, thinking a lot about Christ. And while I'm sad there isn't Thanksgiving here, I am so very grateful that I have more time to celebrate Christmas! It's a little bit of a different feeling, it being warm- or rainy more like. I don't think I've ever seen so much rain in just one week. Woah, really thinking back on this week, it was packed with fun.
Transfers: Yup! I should stop being surprised when I get transferred, but I think after this transfer everything will go back to normal. I'm very sad to leave here, I love my companion so much! I've learned so much.
While reading my brother's letter from Russia I felt a deep power. I realized just now, at least- I realized a little better the power of gratitude. I think, besides the power of testimonies- gratitude follows. And I think gratitude and the power of love are intertwined. Really I should just copy and paste everything he said, because I add my love and gratitude on top of his, seconding everything he's grateful for.
And so I'll spend a little of my time expressing gratitude. Because, I could share how our baptism moved to next week, so sadly I'll miss it, or how I saw lightning strike just streets over, or how the streets filled with water and my and my companion got soaked, or I could share more of my struggles with the language- or even more, how I'm improving every day, I could tell about all the people I've met here, the friendships I've made in short amounts of time, really, this week has been quite the adventure, the longest and shortest week yet....But I feel like I could say that about every week.
Instead of expounding, I'll express my gratitude, especially for my family. The family is the strongest unit on earth, a unit stronger than a government or country. And in the bonds made in the temple, the family becomes part of the foundation of the life of individuals, if centered in Jesus Christ. Being in many perople's homes, learning about the culture here and in Michigan, not only has it helped me know what more I want to do with my life, but really just how grateful I am for the family I have. For my parents, devoted to each other- but more importantly to their God. And in having this relationship, nurture me, my siblings. Drew, Kenzie, Josh, Spencer. Drew for his example and light that isn't diminished in times of hardship. My sister, love, loyalty, support. Josh, for his humor and intelligence. Spencer and his gentleness, willingness, and thoughtfulness. All of us together, we weave the perfect coat of many colors. And extended family- holy cow, especially here on a mission, I feel the power of your prayers and letters and love. Thank you.
I'm so grateful for the life I have, for every memory, every person that I ever met. Even for my mistakes, for it's in my weaknesses that I turn with more strength to my Savior. I'm grateful for the friends I've made too. If you're reading this, then you can count yourself one of them. Bem Vindo. (;
LIfe is beautiful. I'm grateful that I'm in the city, and that I've only seen three baratas (cockroaches) in my apartment. I'm grateful for the structure of the church- how truly, truly, perfect it is. For sure, the Lord works and relies on us, who are imperfect, but I witness and testify of the perfect organization of His church restored to the earth today by a prophet of God. I'm grateful. And I know.
And most importantly I'm grateful for my Savior. Jesus Christ. The light and life of the world. The Great I Am. The Messiah. How personally he knows each one of us, and for me- He knows me, what I'm going through. How hard the life of a missionary is, or for you: a mother, father, or how hard it is to work every day, the worries of every day life, how hard the life of being a brother or sister sometimes, or a friend, neighbor, which direction should I take my education? All these, and more. I'm grateful that I can testify that God knows you, and He knows me- and happiness is acheivable. Você pode fazer coisas difícil. You CAN do hard things.
I love you all. More than you can imagine.
Sister Duncan
No comments:
Post a Comment