Monday, November 11, 2013

wheels of patience and wings of hope (=

In my favorite movie there's a scene where the main character is talking to someone, hoping to gain wisdom of sorts. I'm not sure whether I could judge if it was a good source or no, but when she wanted to know where to go, "Sometimes when it seems like you're getting no where, but when in fact.... you are." It sounds cooler in my head with the voice of the character giving the advice. The main character, Sarah, says in return, "Well, I'm sure getting no where right now."

I think sometimes we feel like we're running and running, going and going, but feel like someone has picked us up and while our feet and legs move, it appears like we're getting no where. But when we actually stop and look back, that's where the danger lies. Look forward, but not too far that you can't see where you are now, but always moving, and with hope. Simply hope.

On the way here, walking in the heat, I tried to think of how grateful I was for the breeze. And then, out of no where, the light faded, came back, then faded. Both Sister Schwitters and I noticed the sudden relief of heat. We recognized and looked up. Makes me think of the story one of the apostles told about being in the elevator and being told to remember to look up. Up to God. But in the sky it was just a little cloud. Soon the sun would be upon us again, but I was grateful for that little cloud. And when the sun came back out, I watched as the shade didn't 'disappear' but just move to cover someone else. This little cloud would always have a shadow as long as it existed, it would always have a shadow of influence. Maybe not where it expected, and similarly, we will always be an influence to someone, no matter how small we think we are. 

This week has been good. (=  I try to use every moment that is given to me, somehow to magnify my calling as a missionary.

We went to drop letters off, and the woman behind me, her name was Rosa. I sure didn't understand everything she said, but on my own I at least gave her a pamphlet on the way out. Directed her to the website... That was really all, but it's really an interesting thing how quickly you can come to love and care for someone. Of course, as I develop my language skills, I'll be better to get information and whatnot, but it was an important reminder for myself. 

I love you all! Thank you for your prayers and love.
Sister Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment