Today I got to speak with my sweet baby girl for a whole hour! It was a very welcome belated Mother's Day gift! (Because of the shear volume of missionaries in the MTC, they don't get to call home on Mother's Day). Sister Duncan called from the Minneapolis airport on her layover from Salt Lake City to Lansing, Michigan. I can't believe her 6 weeks in the MTC is over!
I would have thought that not having her visa come through so she could leave for Brazil would be frustrating for her. Instead, her reaction has been very positive. In fact, she was brimming with excitement today to be on the brink of actually getting to teach and be a missionary. I was struck by her confidence, cheer and self awareness. She has always been a wonderful child, loving, gentle, thoughtful, giving, honest, dependable, the list just goes on and on! Today though, she was so different. I am having the hardest time putting what I heard and felt into words. I guess it just boils down to this...she is not a child anymore. She is a woman grown. The woman I spoke to today was clear about who she is, what she wants and what she is doing on her mission. A couple of years ago Chelsea Dade faced her greatest challenge and her greatest heartbreak. She battled with a loss that left wounds and scars, the like of which I feared would never heal. I have watched her struggle to get back to who she was before. The process was slow, and while we saw moments of hope I secretly feared never to see that girl again. I had no idea how to help her heal.
Silly me, the Lord knew what she needed! Sis. Duncan just needed to reach out her hand and take the healing love he proffered. What a gift! My daughter, on her way to teach others of faith, hope and God's love, taught me today! As I listened to my daughter today I heard a woman healed! What a blessing the MTC has been for my sweet girl. When the visa did not come, and she couldn't go directly to Brazil, we thought it was a stumbling block. Now I know it for the blessing that it was. I won't make that mistake again! I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for my daughter. Look out Michigan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sis. Duncan is on her way!
No comments:
Post a Comment