Monday, June 10, 2013

the best mission in the world!

 The last days at the MTC were literally a blur and went by as quickly as one of those yellow striped lines on the highway- and looking back it all just looks like one day- one sold yellow line. I loved it so much, my time in the MTC. I'd trade it for nothing, I actually miss it a little bit. Being out in the mission feild is different, but still fun!
I started opening my mouth from the very beginning! I knew that if I didn't, I would probably never get the courage, might as well start making a fool of myself in the airport where I would never see these people again. Two people that I gave a pass along card too- and I actually wish I'd see them again! One woman in the security line heard the four of us sister that were waiting for our visas were going to be eventually in Brazil. She started talking to me, how she loved what we did as missionaries, expressed her confidence in me being able to learn the language, and she said how her family had taken the lessons when she was little. Through questions led by the spirit, I learned that she had read the Book of Mormon, had thought about taking the lessons again- but hadn't prayed about it. I committed her there to do so that night, and she said she would. It was kind of awkward...since there was a man between us (I started sorta talking with him too) and I forgot to commit her at first, so I brought it up again awkwardly, but she gladly accepted!
I also got one phone call with my family- best hour of the whole trip.
I wasn't sure what to expect, but as we came down the escalators, there was our mission president and other missionaries who had arrived a little earlier waiting for us. They had a huge sign with "Welcome to the Lansing Michigan Mission: the best mission in the world!" I spent a day in the mission home and finally learned who was going to be my trainer and my mission area. Before lunch we stood in two lines (one the trainers, the other the new missionaries) and all introduced ourselves. There were a lot of people! It went from one side of the gym in the church building to the other (the short distance of the gym at least.). My trainer is amazing and I'm in a trio! Which means instead of traveling in a group of two missionaries, it's three of us. And guess what area I'm in??! Well, Grand Ledge, Michigan, technically, but the small branch I'm in is named the Portland Branch! I love it, it's so small and close knit group.

Me and my new companions

Michigan is beautiful, how come I never knew it existed? It reminds me vaguely of Oregon. Green, green, green- trees everywhere! It's actually cloudy and rainy today, and ever since I've been here it's been cloudy with spotty sunshine. So much wildlife! I love the birds, there are tons! Bright blue, red, and yellow. The little yellow birds are my favorite. And the people also just have the down to earth Oregon feel to them. I'm so excited to be here and to serve the people here!
Two highlights of this week:
1) While door knocking (we did a LOT of this our first couple of days) we met a lady named Mary. She is confined to her house because of her sickness. She didn't seem all that interested at first, until we offered to help her plant her flowers that were sitting there and needed to be done. She didn't believe us at first, that we'd actually do it with her...since we were in skirts- but we insisted and taught her as we worked. It was a little awkward in a skirt- but so much fun. She loves to learn new things and accepting of many things too, especially since she has Native American ancestry, and loved that the Book of Mormon was about her ancestry. Just seeing how open people are, even as we knock and aren't interested. There was one old lady who I still laugh as I picture her expression in my head. "No, I don't want to talk to you about that." Her confused and baffled cute old lady face and tender voice. Yeah, it hurt, but people like Mary who brought out water and let us talk with her...Ah, I love the people of Lansing! By the way, if you ever wonder what you want your house to be like, or need some ideas of what you like your front porch to look like, just go door knocking and say hi to everyone. (:
2) We didn't have any people to teach when we first arrived. We actually are opening up a new area, which means we've been trusted to pave a path in this area. But the Elders gave us a two sets of investigators that are in our area. We met with both of them, and it was amazing how much I love them already. It also made me kind of sad, because you could tell that they were sad that the Elders weren't going to teach them anymore- which goes to show that they must have been doing something right. Anyways- one pair, Bev and Keith, came to church! Though it wasn't our work, it was still a beautiful experience. I asked them at the end, "What were some of the feelings that you felt today at church." The wife named off some feelings and her excitement to learn and be schooled. And then, "I loved how I felt so welcome here. We've been kicked out of many churches because of how we dressed, or because we weren't baptised in their religion, it meant a lot how welcome we were here." Wow! The wife was actually dressed nicely, the husband was in some shorts and a button up shirt- "I don't have a tie, or slacks, not in any nice shoes, but I felt welcome anways." That's what this is all about, bringing them into the fold!
Anyway, sorry this is all disorganized and scatter brained. I'm getting used to the new schedule, thinking of all the things that have happened and only having to pick a couple.
Just know that the Lord knows YOU. He really does. All it takes is a prayer, heart felt, sincere, maybe pleading, maybe just in pouring gratitude, either way- and asking to feel the love he has for you, it really does help. And he does answer prayers, because God is a personal God. (: I love this, I'm learning every day, and I'm not perfect, but I've got vision and goals and with my Savior Jesus Christ- anything is possible! (:
Love, Sister Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment