Monday, July 28, 2014

be a friend

Change has never been my forté. So- here we go again. I left my beloved Jordanópolis with tears, but ever since I've gotten here, I haven't had time to cry or be sad. This area is a LOT bigger than my last. The cool thing, is that the "zone" that I'm in is the same Santo Andre Zone that I was in when I arrived. Everyone in the zone is different, but it's an interesting thing- since I'm pretty sure this will be my last area. To start and end in the same place- but as a completely different person. Of course- the first area when I arrived was closer to downtown, and my area is called "Utinga" (Oo-ch-nga) There's a neighborhood with all the roads different countries. Russia! United States! And others. (= 

One night I was writing in my journal about the miracles that I saw that day, but I came to a point where I was missing my other area, my other companion. I was flipping through the pages of my journal when something caught my eye- it was an entry about Risa- making it four years since she had passed away. What was interesting, is that it related to me that night. The tears I shed weren't sadness of losing, but feeling the love of a loving Heavenly Father who was comforting me. There was a phrase that cut me deep, "When we lose things physically, whether by nature, force, or by sacrifice- God opens spiritual doors." And it's our choice whether or not we will enter these doors. "It's in losing that we gain". In all my life, I've gained the most when I've lost the most. I am who I am because of the choices I've made, even when it's been difficult.

I think about my brother in Russia, with a mission a little more difficult- the sacrifices and the good attitude. And I know that like him, me, and every other missionary are making differences. Sometimes this difference we won't see necessarily with our eyes- but the change will be made will be within ourselves, a change that others won't be able to see with their phsyical eyes. 

Miracle of the week: 
 This past week we've been working with Fabio to stop smoking. We've been following up with him, we've been really trying to help him. He came to church with his wife, who's a member. We invited them to stay for the baptism of the two boys, but they said they couldn't- though I could tell Fabio had desire to. Luckily one of the members, without even knowing it- through conversation convinced them to stay! The baptism of the two boys was really special, and I'm hoping Fabio felt the spirit like we did, like everyone there did. 
 Moral of the story- members make a difference! Be a friend, reach out- and without even knowing it you'll make a difference. 

Thank you so much, everyone for your love, concern, and prayers. I feel them, even far away. And know that I pray for ya'll. 

With much love,
Sister Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment