Monday, October 28, 2013

beautiful symbols, and love

Being here in Brazil gives new meaning to the days passing like weeks and the weeks like days. But this past week felt like an hour. A long hour, but just an hour. I guess there's some sort of holiday... The library was closed! Yuck. But, when there's a will, especially the will of the Lord, then there is a way. And here I am! And ya'll get an update.
I'm not even sure where to start. I said that last time...
Hard, what's difficult... Church. You go to church to be uplifted spiritually, but when you cannot understand what's being said.... Well, it's true that every people will learn in their language, which is why I'm learning another language- for this people. As for myself, I cherish sacrament meeting, the moment when the water and bread are passed around. The prayers I don't need to know Portuguese to know what is being said. Maybe that's another reason why God uses symbolism, because... it's a universal language. It's a meaningful time for me, during the sacrament, for me to put everything on the altar of sacrifice, and start with a new slate once more. To put my best foot forward.
Hugs are also a universal language. The people here in Brazil really know how and when to give hugs... well, most times. There's never really a time that a hug isn't okay. Sunday was probably the hardest day yet here in Brazil. It really hit me hard that I relied so much on my companion... And that's hard. To put so much trust in my companion, and the Lord, to hope that when I'm alone someone won't say something important. (of course, alone, I mean- my companion in the bathroom)
I can all promise you, as a representative of Jesus Christ, that as you put everything on the altar of sacrifice, all your weaknesses...cultural traditions (some, example- booing the opposing team in games), things that you love that maybe are not in align with God's plan for us (example, if you're on a diet, except for chocolate cake on sunday nights...) AS you put everything, EVERYTHING, give everything to God, He will bless you and multiply the blessings in your life. You will have more peace in life. It won't matter that people will think your strange for the way you live, because we are a peculiar people.
I love this work, I love the people here- all is so good. I love you all! Family and friends!
Sister Duncan
P.S. If you'd like to send me extra love with your prayers, just send to the mission address. (= <3

No comments:

Post a Comment