Key word, ALL. If there was a path of least resistance, we would not learn. We couldn't.
When I think of opposition I think of Adam and Eve in the garden of eden. It took me way too long to realize that there were two trees in the garden... =P One of the fruit of knowledge, and the other the tree of life. Each were in opposition to each other. Both good things- the tree of life is described in the Book of Mormon as being "most delicious". But it was the tree of knowledge that Eve and Adam partook, fell, but became as Gods, knowing between good and evil. We know that this was needful, in order for us to be able to come to earth- but focusing on the trees themselves. Both being good- but in opposition.
2 Nephi 2:15 And to bring about his eternal purposes in the end of man, after he had created our first parents, and the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and in fine, all things which are created, it must needs be that there was an opposition; even the forbidden fruit in opposition to the tree of life; the one being sweet and the other bitter.
I feel like on a mission, I come across this a lot, rules that collide, I can't be perfectly obedient at everything, especially as a mortal, imperfect, I'm going to fail at something. There are all these things that we're asked to do: callings in the church, getting an education, working, scripture study, service, family (both parents and being good siblings or children)- getting to bed on time, up on time- all these really good things!
2 Nephi 2:16 Wherefore, the Lord God gave unto man that he should act for himself. Wherefore, man could not act for himself save it should be that he was enticed by the one or the other.
And by using our agency, or ability to choose, we learn and grow. But we weren't left without a guide, to know what was good, better, and best. In Matthew 22:38 we learn that the greatest commandment is to love God, then our neighbors as ourselves. All things will fail, except for Charity.
Life in Michigan is awesome!
Love, Sister Duncan.
P.S. Bikes are awesome. Skirts aren't that great. -1+1=0 Thus, skirts plus bikes are a no go. Not a good idea. Never has been, never is, never will be. Opposition in all things...
Oh! And we have a baptism for one of our investigators in two weeks! She's so great! In sacrament meeting a week ago she was sitting in sacrament meeting early, going through the hymn book to find what hymns she wanted sung at her baptism. She is so sweet. I love her! I love this area.
I love you family and friends, what ever is hard. I challenge you to study the Atonement, and how you can apply it in your life. While it seems like right now, things aren't that great. I promise that there's a hope that ALL things WILL be made fair. I testify of this! Love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment